By Magpie Café Event Chef Chris Woo
7 cups vegetable stock
3 tablespoons olive oil plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons red onion or shallots, minced
2 cups California short grainwhite rice
1/4 cup dry white wine
4 scaled ounces of grated dry cheese
1 tablespoon butter
Salt and Pepper to taste
2 cups of roasted asparagus, chopped
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
4 teaspoons grated fresh lemon zest
- Simmer vegetable stock. Keep on low heat in a sauce pan next to risotto pan. Keep a ladle ready for moving vegetable stock to rice.
- In a large pan add shallots and olive oil. Cook for two minutes
- Add rice and toast in oil. Stir for about a minute.
- Add wine and stir until the rice is dry.
- Add 25 percent of the hot stock.
- Stir and simmer until the rice liquid is gone.
- Continue until all the vegetable stock has been used and the rice is creamy.
- Add cheese and butter.
- Add asparagus.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add chopped mint and lemon zest.
- Scoop into bowls and garnish with fresh lemon zest, cheese and a few asparagus tips.